Tim’s practice areas encompass corporate work and general commercial matters (including employment law and intellectual property law). Tim has over eight years of legal experience, with the majority of that experience in the United Arab Emirates.
Before joining KN Legal, Tim trained at a Magic Circle firm in Dubai, where he gained experience from various departments, namely, corporate insurance, construction, arbitration, aviation finance, employment, intellectual property, technology media telecommunications, and general commercial matters. Tim also spent several years as a paralegal, assisting with various client cases.
- Advised multiple clients on KSA and UAE employment laws and reviewed their HR policies and template employment contracts for compliance with the relevant local regulations.
- Advising clients on UAE Emiratization regulations and end-of-service gratuity and pensions for Emiratis.
- Initiated employment proceedings in the DIFC Courts on behalf of several clients against their employers in the DIFC.
- Advised a client on the legal aspects of life insurance provided to employees and how the mechanism works in case of an employee’s death.
- Advised a developer on the possibility of copyrighting a project/city’s skyline under the KSA Copyright Law.
- Assisted multiple clients with drafting cease-and-desist letters against entities selling counterfeit products, and/or infringing their intellectual property rights.
- Assisted multiple clients with multiple trademark oppositions and appeals against trademark registration refusals before the UAE authorities.
- Assisted multiple clients with multiple trademark registration specifications.
- Advised a client on YouTube’s take-down policies and procedures suffering from intellectual property infringements in Egypt and Iraq.
- Advised multiple clients on the applicable rules and regulations in the KSA and UAE on the use of medical and patient data, data storage, and the transfer of such data abroad.
- Assisted a sub-contractor by drafting replies to mini claims (HSE contra charges) claimed by the main contractor in a significant Middle East airport arbitration.
- Assisted a leading contractor in defending arbitration claims against it by multiple sub-contractors on the basis of a back-to-back clause.
- Advised an American law firm on whether their clients’ restaurant pop-ups would fall under the KSA Franchise Law.
- Advised a client on the legality under the UAE’s competition laws and regulations of asking consumers the price they paid to dealers for purchased vehicles.
- Advised a pharmaceutical client on the legal framework for importing and selling unregistered pharmaceuticals in Bahrain, Oman, and Qatar.